PIK – Patient transport management in a crisis
PIK supports emergency response organizations in crisis situations providing automated disposition support of operating resources and to automatize communication with hospitals.
Exceptional circumstances such as major casualty incidents or natural phenomenon require extraordinary systems. The aim of the project PIK is to support emergency response organizations in crisis situations providing automated disposition support of operating resources and to automatize communication with hospitals. Together with several national associations of the Red Cross the requirements for an intelligent scheduling support considering disruptions in the infrastructure are collected and the complex problems of crisis situations are modelled. To ensure the care for the population in such situations, suitable optimization methods along with communication interfaces to hospitals are developed in order to take the bed capacity into account.
Core activities and goals of PIK are:
- Routing of emergency vehicles under special conditions (due to natural disasters blocked roads, height and weight restrictions on alternative routes, possibility of violation of one way streets)
- Support for the redistribution of operating resources from adjacent regions, without endangering the comprehensive care by emergency services (optimal allocation of available resources)
- Support for the tour planning of rescue and ambulance services, considering specific requirements in crisis situations
- Data exchange with hospitals about available bed resources and available facilities like operating rooms
- Identification of priorities of orders in a crisis and its consideration in the planning