August 23rd, 2011
Yet another booklet on “mega trends 2020+” has been published. This one is by Roland Berger Strategy Consultants and it describes 7 mega trends (1. changing demographics; 2. globalization and future markets; 3. scarcity of resources; 4. the challenge of climate change; 5. dynamic technology and innovation; 6. global knowledge society; 7. sharing global responsibility) and 21 subtrends (too many to name them explicitly here).
What I personally like about this publication: it is well argued which methodology they use and how they derive the trends; they refer to urbanisation (on the global level – here in Europe we are mostly urbanised since the 1950s) – this is in line with many other scenarios, e.g. also Matthias Horx; also, they explicitly name the “war for talent” as an issue; and furthermore, there is an argumentation which corporate actions are to be taken to address the individual trends.
But still: it is just another (mega) trend publication. So, if you need other arguments for your lecture, for arguing specific business cases, your personal scenarios, etc. have a look for instance at
- Horx (http://www.horx.com/Reden/Macht-der-Megatrends.aspx) with 10 mega trends: 1. globalisation; 2. women; 3. individualisation; 4. downaging; 5. health; 6. new work; 7. connectivity; 8. urbanisation; 9. mobility; 10. new education;
- Siemens Horizons 2020 also with 10 mega trends: 1. increasing globalization; 2. increasing longevity; 3. fewer children; 4. greater significance of women in business and society; 5. free choice of lifestyle; 6. growing significance of virtual communities; 7.networking of communication media; 8. growing mobility (“delocalization”); 9. growing migration to Europe; 10. acceleration of technological knowledge creation and product cycles
- Or, alternatively if you are favouring a specific location, see e.g. Bavaria http://www.stmwivt.bayern.de/fileadmin/Web-Dateien/Dokumente/wirtschaft/Tagungsband_Bayern_2020.pdf
- Or a specific sector? E.g. energy/utilities? http://www.atkearney.at/content/misc/wrapper.php/id/49923/area/energie/name/pdf_pdf_eb_at_kearney_-_megatrends_energiewirtschaft_1190281019f555_11921898873c03.pdf
- Or, date? 2030 (see Roland Berger above)? 2040 (e.g. science and technology)? Or pathways to 2050?
I am sure your there is mega trend or at least subtrend that fits your purposes …