Archive for June 1st, 2007
Excellent article and discussion about the development of end-user software in the past 20 years at hubpages.com. Metrics include load time of OS and applications, size of applications, etc.
The picture of the 86 Mac above (running OS 6.0.8) reminds me of my student days at the University of Linz.
Also good discussion!
June 1st, 2007
An event organised within the FEMTECH initiative to discuss about women in technological domains/businesses.
- Opening by Landeshauptfrau Gabriele Burgstaller and Forschungsstaatssekretärin Christa Kranzl
- Best Practices Dialogue: Siegfried Reich, Salzburg Research; Silvia Buchinger, Hewlett-Packard
- Vocational training as chance: Alexandra Kreuzeder, Projektleiterin ditact_women´s IT summer studies, ICT&S Center
- Best Practices Dialogue: Dorly Holzer-Harringer, Skidata AG; Sophie Poppenreiter, Liebherr;
- Recruiting of experts: Irma Brazda, IVENTA
moderated by Anita Zieher, Theatre Works
Some key findings:
- Flexibility in working hours is key to success
- During maternity/paternity leave you should try and aim to stay connected with your employer
- Role models are important (especially for the younger ones when choosing their career paths)
- There was a good argument by HP for diversity: creativity is important as it helps fostering new ideas. If there is diversity in people (women/men, different cultures, etc.) this creates creativity and therefore supports innovation which helps staying competetive (says at least HP but I would personally by into this argument).
June 1st, 2007